Plants - 1 Acre
CHICORY lasts 2 to 5 years and is a beneficial forb that deer instinctively crave. We started using chicory in our mixtures over 10 years ago and introduced the wildlife world to the benefits of chicory as a food plot component. This highly digestible forb provides protein and energy to the diet while stimulating the rumen to work more efficiently.
Chicory is adapted to most regions of the US. It has a deep tap root that contains stored carbohydrates which allow the plant to go dormant during extreme winter or summer stresses. Chicory is also very drought tolerant. The root contains many benefits that aid in alleviating digestive disorders. Deer will frequent chicory plots when overfeeding on corn and acorn crops.
Chicory can be planted as a monostand or in combination with other species. Tecomate has an extensive chicory research program with multiple varieties to determine which are the most productive and desirable. We have now taken it one step further to include our proprietary Yellow Jacket seed coating containing Zeba.
Chicory is ideal for use in all zones.
• Last 2 to 5 years
• Survives tough soil conditions and drought
• Excellent fall attraction
• Blends well with other seeds for custom mixtures
• Contributes to rumen health in deer
Chicory Planting Suggestions
1) Plant in a sunny location that has been disked to create a clean, level and firm seedbed.
2) Tecomate recommends liming if the pH is below 5.8 and fertilizing with a balanced fertilizer such as 13-13-13 at the rate of 200 to 300 pounds per acre.
3) No-till drill, cultivate and broadcast or cultivate and drill seed. Plant at a rate of 3 pounds per acre. When broadcasting, cover seed by dragging or cultipacking. Plant 1/8 to ¼ inch deep. Avoid planting too deep.
4) Use grass selective herbicide or mow to about 6 inches high in spring/early summer.
Re-fertilize at recommended rates from routine soil samples. Overseed to refresh plot. Seed Content: Premium Chicory
Planting Time: Zones 1 & 2: Spring or Fall Zones 3 & 4: Fall Seeding Rate: 4 lbs./acre Planting Depth: 1/8 to ¼ inch Fertilizer: Use a balanced fertilizer such as 13-13-13 or similar and apply at 200 to 300 lbs./acre
Alfagraze Roundup Ready Alfalfa Seed The original dual performance variety, excellent for baling as well...
Advantage Ladino Clover Seed (Coated)Seeding Rate:1 lb. per Acre in pasture overseeding. When used for...
Aeschynomene Aka Deer Vetch Seeds: Variety: Americana Aeschynomene is a warm-season annual legume adapted to...
Alfagraze with Genuity Roundup Ready Alfalfa Seed Alfagraze RR combines improved yield potential with a...